Monday, October 17, 2005

RIP Charles Rocket

Good lord. I'll always remember Charles Rocket best as the twitchy Grossberg from the brilliant 1987 Max Headroom series. He will be remembered by most, however, as the SNL castmember (Reagan impressions and Weekend Update anchor) who said "fuck" on live TV, prompting the firing of himself and most of the cast of that ill-fated 1980-81 incarnation of the show. It was well-known that he was very unhappy about the direction his career had taken (mostly sub-B movies and video game voices), but that alone can't account for his particularly brutal suicide.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was great in "Earth Girls are Easy". I loved his villain roles, but I loved him more on SNL. I always wanted to see him play an antihero leading role someday. Too bad my favs never get the breaks in Hollywood.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neathery said...

Too bad my faves always end up killing themselves or dying young. Charles Rocket was one of the few SNL castmembers whose career I regularly followed, along with Phil Hartman and Chris Farley.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie never said the F word on purpose. It was a mistake. He was made the scapegoat.....

I have no doubt in my mind this one mistake followed him throughout his life & in fact i believe it cost him his life.

He was due to have gone & filmed the SNL 80's lost & found documentary a few hours after his body was found. Coincidence? I think not.....

The brutal way in which he took his life represented a huge amount of self-hatred & rage against himself as well as others.

For some pics of Charlie click on my name above.

yasmin

reason for suicide
http://www.myspace.com/132501307

15th April 2007

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home